Russia suspends the Memorandum on preventing incidents and ensuring flights safety during operations in Syria earlier signed with the United States in the wake of the US strike on the Syrian airbase, the Russian Foreign Ministry reported on Friday, Joinfo.com reports with reference to TASS.
“The Russian side suspends the memorandum on the prevention of incidents and on ensuring the safety of flights in the course of operations in Syria, concluded with the United States,” said in the statement. “We urge the United Nations Security Council to meet in urgent session to discuss the current situation.”
As reported, the United States launched a military strike Thursday on a Syrian government target in response to their chemical weapons attack that killed dozens of civilians earlier in the week.
“It is obvious that the strike with US cruise missiles had been prepared beforehand,” the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
“It is clear to any specialist that the decision to deal the strikes was made in Washington before the events in Idlib, which were used as a pretext for a show of muscle. It is beyond doubt that the US military strike is an attempt to distract attention from the situation in Mosul, where as a result of actions by the US coalition hundreds of civilians died and the humanitarian disaster is growing.”
“Without taking the trouble to look into the situation the United States opted for the show of muscle, for military resistance to a country that fights against international terrorism,” the Russian MFA said in the statement. “This is not the first time that the United States takes such a reckless approach, which merely exacerbates the world’s problems and poses a threat to international security.”