Home / World / Ukraine News Today Feb. 14, 2017: Russian court extends detention for Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko; Minsk peace talks to focus on hostages release; Militants attack Ukrainian army 72 times, 1 soldier wounded

Ukraine News Today Feb. 14, 2017: Russian court extends detention for Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko; Minsk peace talks to focus on hostages release; Militants attack Ukrainian army 72 times, 1 soldier wounded

Ukraine News Today: Russian court refuses to release Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko; Minsk peace talks to focus on release of hostages held by militants; Militants attack Ukrainian army 72 times on Monday, 1 soldier wounded in Donbas
Ukraine News Today Feb. 14, 2017: Russian court extends detention for Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko; Minsk peace talks to focus on hostages release; Militants attack Ukrainian army 72 times, 1 soldier wounded

Russian court refuses to release Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko

The Moscow City Court on February 14 dismissed an appeal against the arrest of Ukrinform journalist Roman Sushchenko, Joinfo.com reports with reference to Ukrinform.

Lawyer Mark Feygin posted this on Twitter.

“The [court’s] sitting on the consideration of my appeal against the extension of Sushchenko’s pre-trial arrest has ended. The appeal has been dismissed,” Feigin wrote.

It should be recalled that the defense insisted on possibility to change the pre-trial detention of journalist Sushchenko to putting him under house arrest.

Ukrinform correspondent in France Roman Sushchenko was arrested in Moscow on September 30, where he arrived on a private visit. He was accused of “espionage”, allegedly being a member of the Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ukrainian Defense Ministry. The Ukrainian Main Intelligence Directorate denied allegations of the Russian Federal Security Service.

The Russian court ruled at its closed hearing on October 1 to arrest the journalist for two months – until November 30.

On October 7, the Russian Federation officially charged the Ukrainian journalist with spying. Sushchenko denies any guilt.

Roman Sushchenko works with the Ukrainian National News Agency Ukrinform since 2002 and is agency’s own correspondent in France since 2010.

Hostages release is key subject for discussion in Minsk

The humanitarian subgroup of the Trilateral Contact Group (TCG) in Minsk will consider the issues of release of hostages and access of representatives of humanitarian missions to the Donbas territory uncontrolled by Ukraine on February 15, Ukrainian Verkhovna Rada first deputy speaker and Kyiv’s representative in the humanitarian subgroup Iryna Gerashchenko said, Joinfo.com reports with reference to Interfax-Ukraine.

“The key subject is, certainly, release of hostages and access of international humanitarian missions,” Gerashchenko told reporters in Kyiv on Monday.

“‘A total of 109 Ukrainian citizens, who are on the lists of the Ukrainian Security Service, are civilians and servicemen and are considered hostages in the territory of the Luhansk and Donetsk regions,” she said, recalling that the self-proclaimed Donbas republics have so far confirmed just over 40 people from this list.

At that, Gerashchenko said that the Ukrainian side is aware of the location of 15 people from this list. “We are always talking about that and it’s very important to record that these people exist,” she said.

As reported, the next meeting of the TCG on the settlement of the situation in eastern Ukraine will take place on February 15.

Militants attack Ukrainian army 72 times on Monday, 1 soldier wounded in Donbas

14-02_eng-1

Russia’s hybrid military forces attacked Ukrainian army positions in Donbas 72 times in the past 24 hours with one wounded in action (WIA), according to the press service of the Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO) Headquarters, Joinfo.com reports with reference to UNIAN.

In the Donetsk sector, the militants shelled 122mm artillery systems on the village of Pisky, as well as 120mm and 82mm mortars on the town of Avdiyivka, and the villages of Nevelske, Verkhniotoretske and Troyitske. “Russian occupation forces fired rocket-propelled grenades and small arms on the villages of Nevelske, Zaitseve, Pisky, Novoluhanske, Verkhniotoretske, Novoselivka Druha, and Luhanske. A sniper was active in Nevelske,” the report says.

In the Mariupol sector, the occupiers used 122mm artillery systems, tanks, infantry fighting vehicles and armored personnel carriers in the village of Vodiane.

“The enemy opened fire from mortars of various calibers on the town of Krasnohorivka, and the villages of Pavlopil and Shyrokyne. The occupiers also fired rocket-propelled grenades, heavy machine guns, and small arms on the villages of Lebedynske, Bohdanivka, Pavlopil and Shyrokyne. Additionally, infantry fighting vehicles and a sniper were involved in attacking Shyrokyne,” the press center said.

In the Luhansk sector, the militants used 82mm mortars and grenade launchers in the attacks on the Ukrainian positions near the villages of Krymske, Valuiske, Novo-Oleksandrivka and Stanytsia Luhanska.

It should be noted, that almost a hundred wounded and injured soldiers were evacuated from the Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO) zone in eastern Ukraine to the city of Dnipro last week.

“Ninety-two soldiers, wounded and injured, were evacuated by all kinds of transportation to Dnipro,” Director of Dnipropetrovsky regional emergency medicine center Radiy Shevchenko said at a press conference in a weekly update on Monday, February 13.

In particular, two seriously wounded Ukrainian soldiers were delivered by a helicopter to Dnipro on February 8. The evacuation proceeded amid bad weather conditions.