Shelling of the urban-style settlement of Stanytsia Luhanska has cut off power supplies to around 30,000 households, and reports on injuries and destruction have not been received so far, Interfax-Ukraine reports.
Automatic and anti-tank grenade launchers, large-caliber machine guns and small arms were being fired at Stanytsia Luhanska for more than three hours on May 30, the Luhansk region’s Kyiv-appointed military-state administration said on its Facebook page on Tuesday.
“As a result, power lines were damaged in many places, and 30,000 households are still without electricity. A low-pressure gas main was also damaged, but specialists managed to fix it by morning. Information on injuries and destruction has not been received so far,” it said.
Banned 120mm mortars were also fired at Ukrainian military positions near the village of Novotoshkivka in Popasna district, it said.
“UN Assistant Secretary General Ivan Simonovic is currently in Luhansk region. He will visit Stanytsia Luhanska today. He will have an opportunity to see the aftermath of the strikes for himself. It is indicative that this shelling took place the day before the next round of the Minsk agreements,” head of the Luhansk region’s military-state administration Yuriy Harbuz said.