Home / World / OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine alerts on increase of ceasefire violations in eastern Ukraine

OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine alerts on increase of ceasefire violations in eastern Ukraine

The observers of the OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine published a report on the situation in Donetsk region as of 22 February 2016
OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine alerts on increase of ceasefire violations in eastern Ukraine

The SMM informed that in Luhansk region the situation remained relatively calm, Joinfo.ua reports with reference to the OSCE.

“The SMM observed a large number of ceasefire violations in Donetsk region,” – said in the report.

“The SMM observed a total of 794 ceasefire violations in Donetsk region, considerably higher than on previous days. Of note, positioned in city-centre Donetsk between 16:00 and 07:00hrs on 21/22 February, the SMM recorded 312 undetermined explosions 7-10km to the west and north-west. On 22 February, positioned at the “Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR)”-controlled Donetsk central railway station (6km north-west of Donetsk city centre) between 08:40 and 15:05hrs, the SMM heard 36 undetermined explosions and two bursts of small-arms fire 3-8km to the north, north-north-east, north-west and north-north-west,” – said in the report as of 19:30 (Kyiv time) on February 22, 2016.

“Positioned in “DPR”-controlled Yasynuvata (16km north-east of Donetsk) between 08:40 and 13:45hrs, the SMM heard 158 explosions (140 impacts and 18 blasts) caused by, among other weapons, mortars, automatic-grenade launchers, and rocket-propelled grenade launchers, plus an additional six undetermined explosions, and at least 155 bursts of small-arms and heavy-machine-gun fire and fire from infantry fighting vehicles, from locations 0.5-7km south-west, west-south-west and north-north-west of its position,” – reported the SMM.

As to the monitoring of the heavy weapons withdrawal, the SMM revisited a Ukrainian Armed Forces permanent storage site and observed that ten tanks (T-64, 125mm) previously verified as withdrawn to the site were missing.

On the uncontrolled by the Ukrainian government territory beyond the withdrawal lines – but outside storage sites – the SMM observed one tank (T-64, 125mm) near government-controlled Kurakhove (40km west of Donetsk); and, six tanks (T-72, 125mm) near “DPR”-controlled Huselshchykove (41km north-east of Mariupol).

“In areas controlled by the Ukrainian government, in violation of the respective withdrawal lines, the SMM observed the following: 18 towed howitzers (2A65 Msta-B, 152mm) in what Ukrainian Armed Forces personnel had previously said was a heavy weapons holding area; two SA-8 tactical surface-to-air missile launchers (9K33, Osa, 210mm), one close to government controlled Zhelanne Druhe (29km north-west of Donetsk) and another near government-controlled Dmytrivka (43km north of Luhansk); and, an SA-13 surface-to-air anti-aircraft system (9K35 Strela-10) near government-controlled Prychepylivka (49km north-west of Luhansk).

In areas not controlled by the Government, in violation of the respective withdrawal lines, the SMM observed the following: four howitzers (D-30, 122mm) in Luhansk city, moved there, according to the “LPR”, from an “LPR” heavy weapons permanent storage site. The weapons, the “LPR” told the SMM, would be included in a military parade in Luhansk city on 23 February,” – the SMM stated.

“The SMM revisited an “LPR” heavy weapons permanent storage site and noted that four howitzers (D-30, 122mm) were missing,” – said in the report.

It should be recalled that as of 6 a.m. of February 24, Illegal armed forces attacked on Ukrainian army positions 84 times, mostly in the Donetsk sector of the area of the Anti Terrorist Operation.