Home / World / Steinmeier still counts on Minsk agreements

Steinmeier still counts on Minsk agreements

Frank-Walter Steinmeier, German Minister of Foreign Affairs, hopes that the agreements previously concluded in Minsk, will enter the "next phase" of implementation.

Steinmeier still counts on Minsk agreements

During his visit to Volgograd (Russia), Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier stated that negotiations of the Trilateral Contact Group on Donbas, which took place on May 6 in Minsk, would allow to move to the next phase of implementation of the Minsk agreements, Tyzhden informs.

"No matter how different our (of Germany and Russia – ed.) points of view on various issues are, remembering Stalingrad (formerly known as Volgograd – Ed.), we must seek to resolve the conflict in Ukraine as soon as possible," said Steinmeier at the joint press conference with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

"Because of the crisis in Ukraine, it was very important for me to come here to express respect for the deceased (in the battle of Stalingrad between the German and Soviet troops known as the turning point of World War II – Ed.)," he added.

German Minister welcomed the meeting of the trilateral group in Minsk Group on 6 May.

"This is an important step because it means that we can enter the next phase of implementation of the Minsk agreements," said Steinmeier.

Earlier, the Administration of the President of Ukraine stated that it was inappropriate to believe that the Minsk agreements were thwarted.