Home / World / Vladimir Putin sends letter to Petro Poroshenko asking not to kill Russian soldiers

Vladimir Putin sends letter to Petro Poroshenko asking not to kill Russian soldiers

President Putin continues to insist on the withdrawal of the Ukrainian troops from the Donbas, while he does not recognize the presence of the Russian armed forces in the conflict zone.

Vladimir Putin

Putin complains that his proposal in the letter to the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko to withdraw the troops was ignored, Joinfo.ua reports.

"In recent days, Russia has consistently made efforts to mediate the conflict. In particular, in the night from Thursday to Friday, Russian President Vladimir Putin sent a written message to the President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko, offering both sides of the conflict a definite plan for removal of heavy artillery. The letter was received by the president of Ukraine on Friday morning," Dmitry Peskov, the press secretary of the Russian president said adding that "unfortunately, the Ukrainian side rejected the proposed plan and did not make any counter offer, and, moreover, started hostilities again."

According to the press secretary of the president of the Russian Federation, "in the end we all see continued firing of Donetsk and absolute degradation of the situation in the south-east" of Ukraine.

Commenting on the developments in the Donbas, Peskov said, "Moscow is extremely concerned about the situation. The shelling of residential areas of Donetsk is resumed, people are dying again."

"Obviously, taking advantage of the recent cease-fire to regroup their forces, the official Kyiv once again is trying to take a course on the further escalation of the conflict in order to "resolve" it by military means," a statement of the Russian Foreign Ministry says.

Yesterday, Yuri Biryukov, the Advisor to the President of Ukraine said that the Ukrainian military were ordered to open mass fire on the militants' positions in the ATO area.

Later in the DPR (Donetsk People's Republic) it was confirmed that Donetsk was fired. According to preliminary data, five civilians were killed.

It was also reported that in Horlivka, two people were killed as a result of the shelling: a missile hit the public transport stop in the city center. Another 16 people were injured.

According to Alexander Zakharchenko, the head of the DPR, Kyiv used a truce in the Donbas to regroup its forces and increase heavy weapons.

"Kyiv attempts to take revenge for the last year's heavy military defeat," Zakharchenko said.

The President Petro Poroshenko, however, said that the Donbas would be revived.

"We will not give up any piece of Ukrainian land. We will revive Donbas. And we will show that one more highly important factor of our victory is our unity," Poroshenko said.