More than 4,500 civilians have left rebel-held parts of eastern Aleppo so far on Monday, the BBC reports.
A linked evacuation of government-held parts of Idlib province being besieged by rebels started early on Monday.
Turkey’s foreign minister said 4,500 civilians had left eastern Aleppo since midnight on Monday, bringing the number of evacuees to 12,000.
A statement by children’s charity UNICEF said that 47 children trapped in an orphanage, some are in a critical condition because of injuries or dehydration, were taken to safety on Monday morning.
The departure of Bana Alabed, whose home in eastern Aleppo was bombed and whose appeals for peace were heard worldwide, was confirmed by a Syrian-American aid organisation early on Monday.
In a video posted on social media, she expressed relief at escaping the “endless bombardment in Aleppo”.
Tarakji Ahmad, president of the Syrian American Medical Society, posted on Twitter photo with Bana in safety.
After leaving Aleppo city, the evacuees will be moved to parts of Aleppo and Idlib provinces.
While civilians are being moved to safety, the UN Security Council managed to overcome disagreements between Western nations and Russia, and adopted a resolution which requested “UN and other relevant institutions to carry out adequate, neutral monitoring” of the mass evacuations from Aleppo.
Photo: Ahmad Tarakji Twitter .